Ideas and motivation

by

Home Community Boichi’s Universe Manga Lab Ideas and motivation

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Weaper 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Saucemagedon
    Participant

Hi, this must be kinda funny because I have this problem where I do have the stories to draw and at the same time I kinda don’t have the motivation nor the time to polish my drawing skills and starting to make my own manga. I have some skill but not the eye for the anatomy and proportions and I think it was a mistake to try the same style as master Boichi but damn who doesn’t want to draw the same way he does it’s really frustrating. I kinda want to know and read some opinions, some similar stories and some way to get more motivation. I think it’s all and thank you •-•

Weaper
    Keymaster

Hi Andre,
    Thank you for sharing your worries on this. It’s great to see people trying their hand at creating stories.

I’m not Boichi but one of his recurrent advices in the AskBoichi is “do not copy someone else’s drawing“.

That might be why you’re lacking motivation. You’re stuck trying to reproduce someone else’s really detailed artwork and hence can’t really mold it to your stories. It’s getting stiff because you can only reuse existing poses and event which might not fit what you’re trying to tell.
    As Boichi said, “Draw your own and improve your style. It’s okay if the first times your drawing style may seem immature.

Don’t try to rush to the end line, there is not shortcut in efforts. Remember that Boichi-sensei art sure seems great but it’s the result of over 20 years of continuously drawing.
    It’s fine if it takes you a while to find your style, and it should.

I’d also recommend you to read this AskBoichi about writing a story, maybe you’re trying to rush too much and skipping a couple key steps in your writing process: AskBoichi about Manga 7 – Writing a Story

Now for the motivation part, do you have persons reading your stories? Getting feedback and writing for someone can give you that little something that can be missing.
    It’s fine if it’s not family or friends, there exists many groups online in forums or facebook with aspiring writers, mangaka and such, where people reads and gives feedback.

This is only my personal opinion and I hope it helped you.
    Don’t hesitate if you want to talk more about it. Also, don’t hesitate to ask directly this question about motivation to Boichi-sensei in the next AskBoichi about Manga. I’m sure that even someone like him must have days where motivation is lacking, but that’s also what it means to be a pro!

Saucemagedon
    Participant

Hi weaper, I really appreciate all of those advices you gave me, well I know that it’s wrong to copy someone else’s style, and I need to tell you, I don’t think I can call it my style or something but ever since I started drawing I tried to copy someone’s style, pretty disgusting for an artist I know x.x but in the end they became all those styles mixed together it’s pretty confusing at some point but I like my current “style”. It was wonderful to read your review, very helpful very encouraging, you have my thanks Weaper. Thank you very much

Weaper
    Keymaster

glad to hear that it helped you. keep it up!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.